Guns rights advocates are up in arms and think that a new California law is an unconstitutional violation of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution because it bans the open carrying of rifles and shotguns in cities, while permitting them to be carried on private property or mounted in a vehicle -- and there are other exceptions. See the Los Angeles Times and State adopts wider law on guns. Actually the law extends to rifles and shotguns an "open carry" law already in effect for handguns in California.
As a matter of law, "gun regulation" pits "States' Rights" against "The Right to Bear Arms", both of which are conservative strongholds in legal thinking. There is no question that individual States can pass gun regulations -- the question is how far they can go in limiting the carrying of weapons.
A good argument can be made, for example, thinking strictly from a conservative point of view, that law enforcement officials have to be in a position to protect citizens and not have to guess whether an openly carried weapon on a private person is loaded or not and whether it is being worn for good or evil purposes, i.e. they should not have to wait until someone opens fire to know which is which in situations where the carrying of weapons might possibly endanger the citizenry.
A nice way to view the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution -- "the right to keep and bear Arms" -- is perhaps to say that citizens are of course permitted to own and have weapons for peaceful purposes and in the case of armed protection of their country or themselves, to bear such arms, but that this does not include the brandishing of weapons in public locations where such weapons are not required, indeed, where they create a public nuisance and possible endangerment of the public.
We recall here Westerns on TV where a man had to leave his "Colt" at the door before entering the local bar through the swinging doors. Can a state say that the same rule applies when a gunslinger tries to enter a "civilized" metropolis through the "city gates" - we think yes.
Put another way, a citizen has the right to keep and bear guns at home, but this does not give the right to brandish them in public.
Saturday, September 29, 2012
Most Popular Posts All Time
- Samsung Digital Picture Frame 2006 is Clear Designer Prior Art to the Later "Design" of the iPhone and iPad
- How to Remove Disabled Greyed-Out Add-on Extensions in Firefox 4: e.g. the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Extension
- Week 1 2013 College Football FBS Game Predictions by SportPundit
- Legal Graphologists : A Query to You : What About the Christopher Marlowe - William Shakespeare - Controversy and The Signatures of These Two Authors? Are They By the Same Hand?
- PONG ! About that Ridiculously Granted Bounce-Back Scrolling Patent US 7469381 Which Is Anticipated by the Prior Art and Obviousness of the Old Atari Game of PONG
- Speaking of Mouse Trap Economics, What About that Yarn that Patents Stimulate Invention: Les Earnest Testifies Before the USPTO
- 2011 Preseason College Football Rankings
- "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" in Mozilla Firefox - A Solution for this Vexing Problem
- Oil & Gas Cartels and American Inertia on Energy Issues : Major Culprits for the Current Economic Situation in the World?
The ISandIS Network
Our Websites and Blogs: 3D Printing and More 99 is not 100 Aabecis AK Photo Blog Ancient Egypt Weblog Ancient Signs (the book) Ancient World Blog AndisKaulins.com Anthropomorphic Design Archaeology Travel Photos (blog) Archaeology Travel Photos (Flickr) Archaeo Pundit Arts Pundit Astrology and Birth Baltic Coachman Bible Pundit Biotechnology Pundit Book Pundit Chronology of the Ancient World Computer Pundit DVD Pundit Easter Island Script Echolat edu.edu Einstein’s Voice Energy Environment and Climate Blog Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza EU Laws EU Legal EU Pundit FaceBook Pundit Gadget Pundit Garden Pundit Golf Pundit Google Pundit Gourmet Pundit Hand Proof HousePundit Human Migrations Idea Pundit Illyrian Language Indus Valley Script Infinity One : The Secret of the First Disk (the game) Jostandis Journal Pundit Kaulins Genealogy Blog Kaulinsium Kiel & Kieler Latvian Blog LawPundit.com Law Pundit Blog LexiLine.com LexiLine Group Lexiline Journal Library Pundit Lingwhizt LinkedIn Literary Pundit Magnifichess Make it Music Maps and Cartography Megalithic World Megaliths Blog) Megaliths.net Minoan Culture Mutatis Mutandis Nanotech Pundit Nostratic Languages Official Pundit Phaistos Disc Pharaonic Hieroglyphs Photo Blog of the World Pinterest Prehistoric Art Pundit Private Wealth Blog PunditMania Quanticalian Quick to Travel Quill Pundit Road Pundit Shelfari SlideShare (akaulins) Sport Pundit Star Pundit Stars Stones and Scholars (blog) Stars Stones and Scholars (book) Stonehenge Pundit The Enchanted Glass Twitter Pundit UbiquitousPundit Vision of Change VoicePundit WatchPundit Wine Pundit Word Pundit xistmz YahooPundit zistmz