John G. Roberts (see another bio here) has been nominated by President George W. Bush for the US Supreme Court position to be vacated by retiring US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
The stupidest thing that the Democratic Party could do would be to challenge this nomination. Roberts is a centrist with conservative leanings and is ideally suited for a Supreme Court position both by his superior legal record and by his young age. He is not a political radical of any kind and it is time that the Democratic Party start confirming judicial nominations which are beyond legal reproach. Just because a judge does not share Democratic Party opinions is no reason to withhold approval.
There may be times for partisan politics, but this judicial nomination is not one of them.
Typical for the partisan reporting on this matter are:
- this article by Peter Baker and Jim VandeHei at theWashington Post, which concentrates on irrelevant gossip rather than focusing on the nominee's qualifications.
- this article by Liza Porteus at Fox News showing the political nature of judicial nominations.
CNN is somewhat better.
Better still is the Detroit News, which gives the original material of the White House webcast of the nomination.
The inevitable blog commentary is also well worth a read: see, for example
Al Nye the Lawyer Guy, who cites to Think Progress
The Supreme Court Nomination Blog
Campaign for the Supreme Court
Underneath Their Robes
Here is a posting that we find to be somewhat strange. Daily Kos writes:
"It does no one any good to be hysterical about Roberts from day one, when we truly don't know who the guy is. We have hints here and there, and some of them are disturbing, but nothing to hang him on.
So we demand a full airing of his views and prepare for what might emerge. If we don't like what we see, then whack. We let loose the artillery. There's a time and place for everything."
Surely, blogging should not be simple witch-hunting, which that statement portends. Many a competent judge or justice will have views that we do not agree with. Judges and Justices are not and should not be chosen simply because they are "yes men". A popular blog such as Daily Kos should have "higher" ideals. Let's all work to make the country and the world a better place, rather than seeing blogging as a place to "whack" our fellows and "loose the artillery". We have enough war already.
Thursday, July 21, 2005
Most Popular Posts All Time
- Samsung Digital Picture Frame 2006 is Clear Designer Prior Art to the Later "Design" of the iPhone and iPad
- How to Remove Disabled Greyed-Out Add-on Extensions in Firefox 4: e.g. the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Extension
- Week 1 2013 College Football FBS Game Predictions by SportPundit
- Legal Graphologists : A Query to You : What About the Christopher Marlowe - William Shakespeare - Controversy and The Signatures of These Two Authors? Are They By the Same Hand?
- PONG ! About that Ridiculously Granted Bounce-Back Scrolling Patent US 7469381 Which Is Anticipated by the Prior Art and Obviousness of the Old Atari Game of PONG
- Speaking of Mouse Trap Economics, What About that Yarn that Patents Stimulate Invention: Les Earnest Testifies Before the USPTO
- 2011 Preseason College Football Rankings
- "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" in Mozilla Firefox - A Solution for this Vexing Problem
- Oil & Gas Cartels and American Inertia on Energy Issues : Major Culprits for the Current Economic Situation in the World?
The ISandIS Network
Our Websites and Blogs: 3D Printing and More 99 is not 100 Aabecis AK Photo Blog Ancient Egypt Weblog Ancient Signs (the book) Ancient World Blog AndisKaulins.com Anthropomorphic Design Archaeology Travel Photos (blog) Archaeology Travel Photos (Flickr) Archaeo Pundit Arts Pundit Astrology and Birth Baltic Coachman Bible Pundit Biotechnology Pundit Book Pundit Chronology of the Ancient World Computer Pundit DVD Pundit Easter Island Script Echolat edu.edu Einstein’s Voice Energy Environment and Climate Blog Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza EU Laws EU Legal EU Pundit FaceBook Pundit Gadget Pundit Garden Pundit Golf Pundit Google Pundit Gourmet Pundit Hand Proof HousePundit Human Migrations Idea Pundit Illyrian Language Indus Valley Script Infinity One : The Secret of the First Disk (the game) Jostandis Journal Pundit Kaulins Genealogy Blog Kaulinsium Kiel & Kieler Latvian Blog LawPundit.com Law Pundit Blog LexiLine.com LexiLine Group Lexiline Journal Library Pundit Lingwhizt LinkedIn Literary Pundit Magnifichess Make it Music Maps and Cartography Megalithic World Megaliths Blog) Megaliths.net Minoan Culture Mutatis Mutandis Nanotech Pundit Nostratic Languages Official Pundit Phaistos Disc Pharaonic Hieroglyphs Photo Blog of the World Pinterest Prehistoric Art Pundit Private Wealth Blog PunditMania Quanticalian Quick to Travel Quill Pundit Road Pundit Shelfari SlideShare (akaulins) Sport Pundit Star Pundit Stars Stones and Scholars (blog) Stars Stones and Scholars (book) Stonehenge Pundit The Enchanted Glass Twitter Pundit UbiquitousPundit Vision of Change VoicePundit WatchPundit Wine Pundit Word Pundit xistmz YahooPundit zistmz