Is the US Supreme Court split of Justices in the wine case as unusual as commentators make it out to be? We think not. For example, Professor Bainbridge has what he intends to look like reasonable legal analysis of why the US Supreme Court Justices decided the "wine case" the way they did, this being allegedly based primarily upon the Justices' differing views about federal supremacy and states' rights.
There is, however, a much simpler, stronger and more human explanation.
Except for Justice Thomas, whose opinions tend to be quite geriatric for his age to begin with, the decision was predictable strictly on the basis of the age of the Justices. The oldest Justices, encrusted by their years, opted for the more limited "local comfort" standard of their advanced years, whereas the younger Justices, more alive and kicking by comparison, opted for "a more wide open system". Put another way, the old ones tend to try to put the clamps on the young ones in any society. Sad to say that this is so, but it is so.
The illusion that legal principles had anything at all to do with this - again - 5-4 decision of this infamous Rehnquist court, is just that, an illusion, a fata morgana.
We repeat our suggestion that there be a mandatory retirement age for judges and Justices, which, as the data below show, should not be above age 70 (Ginsburg is a "youthful" exception).
The majority: (Justice name, age, political party, nominating President)
David H. Souter - 65 R Bush
Stephen G. Breyer - 66 D Clinton
Anthony Kennedy - 68 R Reagan
Antonin Scalia - 69 R Reagan
Ruth Bader Ginsburg - 72 D Clinton
The minority: (Justice name, age, political party, nominating President)
Sandra Day O'Connor - 75 R Reagan
William Rehnquist - 80 R Nixon
John Paul Stevens - 85 R Ford
Clarence Thomas - 56 R Bush
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Most Popular Posts All Time
- Samsung Digital Picture Frame 2006 is Clear Designer Prior Art to the Later "Design" of the iPhone and iPad
- How to Remove Disabled Greyed-Out Add-on Extensions in Firefox 4: e.g. the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Extension
- Week 1 2013 College Football FBS Game Predictions by SportPundit
- Legal Graphologists : A Query to You : What About the Christopher Marlowe - William Shakespeare - Controversy and The Signatures of These Two Authors? Are They By the Same Hand?
- PONG ! About that Ridiculously Granted Bounce-Back Scrolling Patent US 7469381 Which Is Anticipated by the Prior Art and Obviousness of the Old Atari Game of PONG
- Speaking of Mouse Trap Economics, What About that Yarn that Patents Stimulate Invention: Les Earnest Testifies Before the USPTO
- 2011 Preseason College Football Rankings
- "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" in Mozilla Firefox - A Solution for this Vexing Problem
- Oil & Gas Cartels and American Inertia on Energy Issues : Major Culprits for the Current Economic Situation in the World?
The ISandIS Network
Our Websites and Blogs: 3D Printing and More 99 is not 100 Aabecis AK Photo Blog Ancient Egypt Weblog Ancient Signs (the book) Ancient World Blog AndisKaulins.com Anthropomorphic Design Archaeology Travel Photos (blog) Archaeology Travel Photos (Flickr) Archaeo Pundit Arts Pundit Astrology and Birth Baltic Coachman Bible Pundit Biotechnology Pundit Book Pundit Chronology of the Ancient World Computer Pundit DVD Pundit Easter Island Script Echolat edu.edu Einstein’s Voice Energy Environment and Climate Blog Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza EU Laws EU Legal EU Pundit FaceBook Pundit Gadget Pundit Garden Pundit Golf Pundit Google Pundit Gourmet Pundit Hand Proof HousePundit Human Migrations Idea Pundit Illyrian Language Indus Valley Script Infinity One : The Secret of the First Disk (the game) Jostandis Journal Pundit Kaulins Genealogy Blog Kaulinsium Kiel & Kieler Latvian Blog LawPundit.com Law Pundit Blog LexiLine.com LexiLine Group Lexiline Journal Library Pundit Lingwhizt LinkedIn Literary Pundit Magnifichess Make it Music Maps and Cartography Megalithic World Megaliths Blog) Megaliths.net Minoan Culture Mutatis Mutandis Nanotech Pundit Nostratic Languages Official Pundit Phaistos Disc Pharaonic Hieroglyphs Photo Blog of the World Pinterest Prehistoric Art Pundit Private Wealth Blog PunditMania Quanticalian Quick to Travel Quill Pundit Road Pundit Shelfari SlideShare (akaulins) Sport Pundit Star Pundit Stars Stones and Scholars (blog) Stars Stones and Scholars (book) Stonehenge Pundit The Enchanted Glass Twitter Pundit UbiquitousPundit Vision of Change VoicePundit WatchPundit Wine Pundit Word Pundit xistmz YahooPundit zistmz