Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Decline of the Respect for Law in the Modern Age
Ivan Hoffman has an interesting philosophical article entitled Respect For The Law - in which he posits that respect for the law has declined in recent decades, leading to many of the problems which the legal discipline thus faces today.
As an intellectual property attorney and teacher of law at UCLA Extension, Hoffman also goes into the role of the law and the fair - or unfair - use of copyrights and trademarks as issues which are partial manifestations of this posited deteriorating respect for the law.
The core of Hoffman's article is the idea that we as citizens should be "affirmatively modeling" respect for the law and not be merely giving lip service to its dictates.
Mere compliance with the law or refraining from doing what we think we can get away with, are simply not enough to uphold the kind of respect for law which civilization requires.
Although the Law Pundit agrees with much of what Hoffman writes, life's experience indicates - at least, in this quarter - that clear normative regulations and subsequent effective law enforcement are very much required everywhere, regardless of the era involved. Music piracy, for example, is like speeding or false parking. There will always be grey legal areas and most people will push that line as much as they can while a minority will ignore the line altogether - without clearly stated norms and without effective enforcement. Hence we thus have found that we must have speed limits, parking regulations, and enforcement of these. When these are lacking, chaos rules. Copyright and trademark infringement are no different.
When the day comes when we all do not need to lock our cars and apartments and homes and buildings, things will be different. But look around you - EVERYTHING IS SECURED. So, until that day comes, all the world remains under lock and key, and must so remain, given the nature of human nature.
Marx and Engels advocated a "Marxist" system based on the idea that human nature could be improved - their system did not work, indeed, it was a disaster. Capitalism accepts human nature as it is - and adjusts its system accordingly. And Capitalism works splendidly.
Posted by Andis Kaulins at 7/28/2004 01:03:00 PM
Most Popular Posts All Time
- Samsung Digital Picture Frame 2006 is Clear Designer Prior Art to the Later "Design" of the iPhone and iPad
- How to Remove Disabled Greyed-Out Add-on Extensions in Firefox 4: e.g. the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Extension
- Week 1 2013 College Football FBS Game Predictions by SportPundit
- Legal Graphologists : A Query to You : What About the Christopher Marlowe - William Shakespeare - Controversy and The Signatures of These Two Authors? Are They By the Same Hand?
- PONG ! About that Ridiculously Granted Bounce-Back Scrolling Patent US 7469381 Which Is Anticipated by the Prior Art and Obviousness of the Old Atari Game of PONG
- Speaking of Mouse Trap Economics, What About that Yarn that Patents Stimulate Invention: Les Earnest Testifies Before the USPTO
- 2011 Preseason College Football Rankings
- "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" in Mozilla Firefox - A Solution for this Vexing Problem
- Oil & Gas Cartels and American Inertia on Energy Issues : Major Culprits for the Current Economic Situation in the World?
The ISandIS Network
Our Websites and Blogs: 3D Printing and More 99 is not 100 Aabecis AK Photo Blog Ancient Egypt Weblog Ancient Signs (the book) Ancient World Blog AndisKaulins.com Anthropomorphic Design Archaeology Travel Photos (blog) Archaeology Travel Photos (Flickr) Archaeo Pundit Arts Pundit Astrology and Birth Baltic Coachman Bible Pundit Biotechnology Pundit Book Pundit Chronology of the Ancient World Computer Pundit DVD Pundit Easter Island Script Echolat edu.edu Einstein’s Voice Energy Environment and Climate Blog Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza EU Laws EU Legal EU Pundit FaceBook Pundit Gadget Pundit Garden Pundit Golf Pundit Google Pundit Gourmet Pundit Hand Proof HousePundit Human Migrations Idea Pundit Illyrian Language Indus Valley Script Infinity One : The Secret of the First Disk (the game) Jostandis Journal Pundit Kaulins Genealogy Blog Kaulinsium Kiel & Kieler Latvian Blog LawPundit.com Law Pundit Blog LexiLine.com LexiLine Group Lexiline Journal Library Pundit Lingwhizt LinkedIn Literary Pundit Magnifichess Make it Music Maps and Cartography Megalithic World Megaliths Blog) Megaliths.net Minoan Culture Mutatis Mutandis Nanotech Pundit Nostratic Languages Official Pundit Phaistos Disc Pharaonic Hieroglyphs Photo Blog of the World Pinterest Prehistoric Art Pundit Private Wealth Blog PunditMania Quanticalian Quick to Travel Quill Pundit Road Pundit Shelfari SlideShare (akaulins) Sport Pundit Star Pundit Stars Stones and Scholars (blog) Stars Stones and Scholars (book) Stonehenge Pundit The Enchanted Glass Twitter Pundit UbiquitousPundit Vision of Change VoicePundit WatchPundit Wine Pundit Word Pundit xistmz YahooPundit zistmz